In the framework of the Africa 2020 season, the Rencontres d’Arles and Institut français are launching a curatorial research grant open to citizens of an African country who are based in Africa most of the time.
RULES OF PARTICIPATION
1 — PURPOSE
The Rencontres d’Arles & Institut français curatorial research grant is aimed at African curators wishing to carry out an unprecedented exhibition project in connection with images/photography.
2 — APPLICATION
Applicants may fill the online application form
3 — RESEARCH & PRODUCTION
STAGE 1 — RESEARCH
– The selected curator will receive a €5,000 grant.
– The budget and schedule will be submitted to the direction of the Rencontres d’Arles for approval.
– After the research period, the curator must send the artistic direction of the Rencontres d’Arles a statement in view of validating the project’s feasibility and present it as an exhibition (stage 2).
STAGE 2 — PRODUCTION & INSTALLATION
After agreement, the project will enter its production and installation stage, supported by the Rencontres d’Arles.
> The €20,000 budget managed by the Rencontres d’Arles includes:
– Loans of works
– Round-trip shipping of the works to and from Arles
– Production of works: printing/framing, wallpaper, etc.
– Assistance with installation
– Invitation of the curator and possibly the artists’ accommodations in Arles during the opening week
> The curator agrees to:
– Select the works for the exhibition and determine their presentation and reproduction rights
– Draft a text presenting the selection of photographs
– Be present during the festival’s opening week and participate in the guided tour of the exhibition.
In addition to this budget, the Rencontres d’Arles will cover the costs of exhibition design, exhibition installation, deinstallation and security.
4 – SCHEDULE
> 13 May
Opening of applications
> 13 June
> 1 to 7 July
Announcement of the results during the Rencontres d’Arles opening week
> Summer 2019 to Autumn 2019
Stage 1, research
> From Winter 2019 for Summer 2020 exhibition
After validation, stage 2, production of the exhibition
+33 (0)4 90 96 76 06
With support from Institut français.
Source: Les Rencontres de la Photographie in Arles.
Image: Aurore Valade, 2018.